Howdy folks. It’s been a while! So, the 2nd year of my Pupils & Ink Tumblr was meant to focus on experimenting with hand-drawn type. Well, as I’m closing out the 2nd year, I noticed two things: (1) I didn’t post as much here in the 2nd years as I did in the 1st (when I was posting contour line drawings weekly), and (2) I brought my love of hand-drawn typography into much of my client work and side projects.
So, without further ado, here’s a look at all the places (outside of this Tumblr) that my hand-crafted type made an appearance over the last 12 months. Projects are listed from November 2011 to November 2012 from top to bottom, with the exception of the typefaces listed in #1:
1. Six (6) typefaces for sale: TerraStamp, NimblePen, HandBlock, HandSlab, Jaywalk, and Prova.
2. Holiday Venn: A limited run print that used the words Happy, Holidays, Home to create a venn diagram.
3. TastyTrailers: An iOS app that helped folks find food trailers near their location. I hand-drew the identity, iOS icon, and a food icon system for the app.
4. Bootstraps Fire Relief Shirt: An illustrated shirt for centraltxfires.org.
5. New Year’s Resolution Wallpaper: My 2012 submission to the To Resolve Project.
6. SoupPeddler: A new identity and website for a local soup food delivery business. I created custom headlines on the website that quickly turned into my first typeface, Prova.
7. SXSW 2012: Promotional digital wallpapers for a campaign.
8. Anamonograms: An experiment where I combined the concept of an anagram with a monogram for 8 custom tea-dyed hand-drawn pieces.
9. SXSW 2012 Sketchnotes: A batch of sketchnotes that I produced while attending SXSW 2012, including the following: Designing for Context, Design from the Gut, Everything is a Remix so Steal Like an Artist, The Curators and the Curated, Mixel: Art, Tablets and the Creator Economy, Go Forth and Make Awesomeness, Shut up and Draw, Why Should Ad Agencies Act More Like Tech Startups, Harnessing the Power of the Benevolent Internet, Digital Debauchery with Anthony Bourdain.
10. Friends Are Everywhere: a 12.5” x 19” silkscreen printed poster (or small print) of type and stars.
11. BbWorld 2012 Sketchnotes: a collection of illustrated collateral and sketchnotes for the annual Blackboard conference BbWorld.
12. Black Wolf Press: an identity for a small letterpress shop.
13. Money For Something book: illustrated cover and chapter titles for a short book about finances.
14. Two (2) Nature-Loving Screen Prints: hand-illustrated quotes by John Muir and Theodore Roethke for sale.
I hope you enjoyed browsing around the linked body of work above. I’ll be thinking about what theme/topic to draw next for 2013. Happy holidays, everyone.